top of page

Women's Support Group

Public·10 members
Miles Kelly
Miles Kelly

MYP Mathematics

Created using the MYP Mathematics Framework, Assessment Criteria, Key Concepts, Approaches to Learning, and Global Contexts, these tasks can also be used effectively by schools not enrolled in the IB Middle Years Programme, as they address all of the common fundamental topics of mathematics at this grade level.

MYP Mathematics

To preserve the integrity of the Assessment Tasks as a true evaluation tool, answers will only be allocated to users with Teacher access via Snowflake. (If you are using this title under other circumstances and require access to the answers, please contact our team at info@haesemathematics.com)

I have always enjoyed the structure and style of mathematics. It has a precision that I enjoy. I spend an inordinate amount of my leisure time reading about mathematics, in fact! To be fair, I tend to do more reading about the history of mathematics and how various mathematical and logic puzzles work, so it is somewhat different from what I do at work.

I was undertaking a PhD, and I realised that what I really wanted to do was put my knowledge to use. I wanted to pass on to others all this interesting stuff about mathematics. I emailed Haese Mathematics (Haese and Harris Publications as they were known back then), stating that I was interested in working for them. As it happened, their success with the first series of International Baccalaureate books meant that they were looking to hire more people at the time. I consider myself quite lucky!

2. Investigating Patterns is the true foundation of mathematics. The foundations of algebraic thinking are rooted in finding and defining patterns. However, traditional classrooms tend to simply give algorithms, practice algorithms, and assess algorithms. In an MYP class, students have to learn how to make the switch from being fed algorithms to understanding the mathematics well enough to create the algorithms.

3. Communication is an essential part of all learning, but a component that is often left out of mathematics in the traditional classroom. In MYP mathematics, we ask students to not only communicate mathematics both written and orally, but we develop in them the ability to flow between forms of mathematics for the most effective communication.

4. Applying Mathematics in Real World Contexts is why we learn mathematics to begin with. Our students need to know why they are learning the material and they need to know when they are going to use it. For that reason, teachers look at the components to solving the real world questions rather than just the answer. Is the student choosing the correct mathematical procedure? Is he/she applying it correctly? Is he/she able to explain if the answer makes sense and describe the degree of accuracy?

First, it needs to be mentioned that percentage grades and letter grades are not a part of any IB curriculum. At CDS, a system has been created to translate IB grades into percentage and letter grades for transcript and GPA purposes. Like the mathematics department, all MYP teachers at CDS currently use a similar conversion of MYP scores to percentage grades. The only difference between mathematics and other subjects is how these grades are being reported on Schoology.

Classrooms and effective teaching techniques will continue to evolve as educators strive to design exemplary 21st century learning practices to improve student learning. If you would like to explore a 21st century approach to teaching of mathematics, please read this article from the current issue of Educational Leadership.

Knowing and understanding- students need to demonstrate that they can apply the different branches of mathematics covered in the syllabus to a range of problems, including familiar and unfamiliar questions.

Applying contexts to real life- this allows students to explore the place of mathematics in the world be able to apply their knowledge to different problems that are relevant to society today.

The MYP Mathematics course is designed to be taught over 50 hours of instruction per year, with 20 hours extra as guided learning time. Students can choose whether to study the standard mathematics or extended mathematics course. The standard course teaches everything needed for a firm grounding in the subject, with all of the key concepts covered to ensure understanding and progression. The extended course also covers the content in the standard course, but enhances it with more difficult concepts providing greater depth and breadth.

My aim is to teach mathematics more conceptual and easy understandable. I focus to develop students critical thinking skills. So, if you want to develop your knowledge of mathematics and develop your critical thinking and logic, book my lessons! See you on my lessons! :) 041b061a72

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

bottom of page