top of page

New Life Levels

Public·9 members

Karen Bespalov
Karen Bespalov

True CrimeOnly Murders In The Building : Season... EXCLUSIVE

Upper West Side neighbors Charles, Oliver and Mabel bond over a shared love of true crime. When a fellow resident dies in their building, the trio determine to solve the mystery and record an accompanying podcast.

True CrimeOnly Murders in the Building : Season...

Charles walks through the city as his voiceover talks about people who worry about living in a big city because of the crime. Any true crime aficionado can tell you it's the boondocks you should worry about. Nobody every discovered 19 bodies buried in the back of a 14th story apartment building. Eyes are on you all the time. As Charles talks about New Yorkers having a special way of communicating, he tips his hat to Uma Heller, who gives him the finger in response. People are packed in tightly on top of each other, like those who live in the Arconia. A guy on the street, Kev, recognizes Charles. Charles confirms that he's Brazzos. Kev used to watch the show with his dad. He has Charles say his famous line. The conversation turns dark when Kev says his dad is on hospice now. Charles offers a picture and Kev has Charles take a picture of Kev and Ana.

On the ninth floor, they watch from a distance as Detective Donna Williams examines the crime scene and declares it a suicide. Once the cops move out of that area, Charles, Mabel, and Oliver come in, where they see Tim, the man from the elevator, dead with a gunshot wound to his head. They all run back. They're shocked. Mabel doesn't believe he killed himself because they saw him right before and he didn't seem like he would. Detective Williams comes out and asks if they were associated with the deceased. Charles and Oliver say no. They just live in the building. Oliver asks if she's sure it was suicide. Mabel says it doesn't make sense. Williams realizes they're true crime junkies, which she hates. She tells them it's a textbook suicide and tells them to leave and enjoy the fact that they still have lives.

Charles, Mabel, and Oliver go through the building trash. Oliver says they should do their own podcast. He's sure every true crime podcaster wishes they were on the cast right from the start. This is their opportunity. He pulls out his phone to start recording. Charles says there's a killer on the loose, one who could be living in their building. Oliver directs Charles through saying that differently so it sounds better for the podcast. Meanwhile, Mabel is still digging through the crash and finds what appears to be drafts of a suicide note. It's Tim's trash, as there is mail for him in it. They agree that it really looks like suicide. So there will be no podcast and it's back to Oklahoma.

Charles records the podcast as Mabel and Oliver watch. He thinks he's nailed it, but Oliver isn't so sure. He wants Mabel to try it, but Mabel would rather die. They decide that tomorrow, they'll put together a timeline. Charles has maps and blueprints of every floor of the Arconia. Oliver mentions another death that took place nearby and suggests multi-tasking. Charles says they need to focus on only murders in the building. Oliver likes the way that sounds. It becomes the title of their podcast.

Only Murders in the Building is an American mystery comedy-drama television series created by Steve Martin and John Hoffman. The ten-episode first season premiered on Hulu in August 2021.[1][2][3] The plot follows three strangers played by Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez, with a shared interest in true crime podcasts who team up to investigate a death in the apartment building they all live in. The series has received critical acclaim for its comedic approach to crime fiction, as well as the performances of the lead cast and the chemistry among them.

Charles-Haden Savage, a misanthropic former television actor; Oliver Putnam, a struggling Broadway director; and Mabel Mora, an apartment renovator, live at the Arconia. By chance, the three meet on an elevator, joined by Tim Kono, who enters talking on his phone. Later, after evacuating the building for an alarm, they bond over their shared love of a certain true crime podcast. They learn that there was a death at the Arconia and sneak back inside, where they see Tim, dead. The investigators believe it was suicide, but the three think otherwise; they find more and more evidence, such as Tim's frantic phone call on the elevator and a package addressed to him that contained an engagement ring. Meanwhile, Oliver struggles with his relationship with his son, Charles discusses his need for solitude, and Mabel expresses her fear of getting personal with people. They start a podcast titled Only Murders in the Building as they continue to investigate. An old photo is shown of Mabel and the friends she dubbed "My Hardy Boys", which includes Tim.

It sees the neighbours of an Upper West Side apartment building become friends and bonding over their love of true crime - only to find themselves in the midst of a real life murder mystery. The two seasons have seen a bunch of famous faces joining the cast, including Paul Rudd, Julian Cihi, Jayne Houdyshell and Tina Fey.

Perhaps the most essential element to any mystery story is the cliffhanger. To compel the listener to tune in the following week, each episode must end with a twist or a tease. In reality, eventually a case must be solved or else remain cold forever. Then the host must endeavor to find another subject in another location. Luckily for Only Murders, the show can manufacture as many murders as necessary in that same uptown building to keep the story going.

Created by Martin and John Hoffman, this mystery-comedy revolves around a trio of strangers who decide to investigate a suspicious death in their apartment building and start a true-crime podcast. When the police rule the death a suicide, it falls on retired actor Charles-Haden Savage (Martin), struggling Broadway director Oliver Putnam (Short) and childhood friend of the victim Mabel Mora (Gomez) to discover what actually happened.

As mentioned above, Only Murders in the Buiding follows three characters who become entangled in a suspicious death in their building, the Arconia. There is Charles Haden Savage, a former television star played by Steve Martin, Oliver Putman, an in-debt Broadway director past his prime played by Martin Short, and Mabel Mora, a mysterious young woman renovating her apartment played by Selena Gomez. They are evacuated from their building by an alarm and, in the process of waiting to re-enter, bond over a true-crime podcast. The trio sneaks back inside the building when they learn a murder has occurred and found the body of their neighbor, Tim Kono. The police conclude that the incident is suicide while the three sleuths conclude that Tim Kono has been murdered and begin their own podcast (also called Only Murders in the Building), on the event.

Growing up, poring over Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys novels was just the trappings of what drew me to true crime mysteries. Pretty soon, though, I found myself jumping ship from books to the internet and going through multiple Wikipedia pages devoted to grisly murders, serial killers, and white-collar crimes. There's something about a gripping murder mystery that keeps you hooked, so it's no wonder that in today's times, podcasts are giving us our true crime fix. From riveting accounts of whodunits to cases where the trails have gone cold, amateur sleuths and researchers have taken it upon themselves to dive headfirst into long-forgotten cases and to (maybe?) solve the cases themselves. And they are not alone; according to statistics, the most listened to genres of podcasts include comedy and news, with true crime coming in a close third place. And if anything, the Hulu original, Only Murders In The Building starring Selena Gomez, Martin Short, and Steve Martin, has only piqued people's interest even further in what it entails in solving a murder. With the second season just a week away, here are some truly grim (and pretty fun, ngl) true crime podcasts that will ensure that you stay at the edge of your seat and keep sleuthing until it's time to binge-watch the new season.via GIPHY

And good afternoon and welcome back to mid-day on Minnesota Public Radio on Gary Acton today. We're broadcasting live from the Minnesota Public Radio booth at the Minnesota State Fair. Thank you very much. The first day of the fair the weather really is pretty good. It can little cloudy but it's it's very comfortable out here footlongs look like they are as tasty as ever. We hope to find out later and we're happy to report that the folks who run our booth here at the fair have declared today Thrifty day. So they put together a real nice selection of goodies that you can look at and apparently the prices are right. Do I make sure you stop by our booth sometime during the fair because we have a drawing if you fill out one of the slips of paper over here, you might win yourself a new car $20,000 toward a new vehicle courtesy of Luther automobile dealership. So give yourself a chance. Let's face it. There are noBillions of people who come to our booth. So the odds of you winning not too bad really? Well this hour of. Midday. We're going to focus on fighting crime and preventing crime and joining us on stage. We might get back by popular demand for at least the third straight year to a Minnesota. Stop Primetime top crime fighter's, excuse me, Hennepin County attorney. Amy Klobuchar Ramsey County attorney Susan when they were first elected they became the first women to serve his County attorneys in Minnesota's two largest counties. Does Gartner is now serving as a third term. She's a member of the board of directors of a national District Attorneys Association and co-chair of the association's cybercrime subcommittee. Amy Klobuchar is the president of the Minnesota County attorneys Association. She is serving her second term. Now those of you here at the fair if you have a question for the District Attorney's on the criminal justice system, just come on up to the mic like to get your question on the air. Don't be shy.If you're listening on the radio, or the web give us a call or Twin City area number is 651-227-6065 1227 6000 or toll free number is 1 800 +242-282-865-1227 6000 or 1 800-242-2828. I get those of you here at the fairgrounds. Just come on up to the mic Susan Klobuchar. Thanks for coming over today. Appreciate it. My pleasure. I was reading the story was in the Star Tribune this morning about the threatened cheating and the animal Barnes potential animal fraud. Is this fall into your bailiwick? Are you going to be over there this afternoon investigating me to have some undercover work going on right now. I shouldn't be saying that but you know, you're in Ramsey County. And so if this Friday is going on in the cow barns, we will ferret it out some kind of organized actually their nose have nose prints is distinct. Those people's fingerprints. You learn something every Day Blinds green party wants you folks to investigate at the Governor's job that he had that while he was campaigning on the premise that there might be an illegal campaign. Attribution involved. Do you folks automatically once you're asked to investigate something like this plow right into it or how does that work ourselves could be guilty of crimes. That's the way it works. And actually we just got this in from the green party yesterday. It was addressed to Susan and myself and we've looked at it briefly. I'm not sure there's a Hennepin County Connection as much as some other counties involved, but I know that will make sure that someone investigate that were required to do that ripped-from-the-headlines indeed Gary. And as a matter of fact in Ramsey County, we haven't even gotten this complaint yet. And so we'll take a look at it. But you you raise an important issue and that is whenever we have a case that involves election fraud which this might involve we have to investigate the it's on like almost any other area of the law. We have an absolute obligation under the statute to investigate election laws. If we fail to do that, we can lose our jobs just like that. So it's a it's a really somewhat peculiar area. The law that I think we should be taking a look at the fair and impartial investigation. Can you folks fairly and impartially investigate? but that that's part of our job and I think Jobs where you get elected in our job, it's so important that we be fair. We've got in cases involving Republicans involving Democrats and we are fair down the line and we have veteran prosecutors in both our offices that look at these that have no political affiliation and I think that's a very important principle for county attorney's across the state that we look at the law and we look at the facts and we make decisions based on that another story that I guess it's not even in the headlines yet. We were reporting today though that perhaps later next week sometime ass lawsuit may be brought challenging and again, the constitutionality of Minnesota's sexual predator commitment law specifically targeted at the governor's executive order saying that nobody none of these guys are going to get out of out of prison or the hospital. Unless the court order it. Is there any you're mine? Is there any legal basis for such a suit to an interesting question and I'm looking forward to sort of watching that action hopefully from a far back in 1995 and Ramsey County. I personally handled the case of Dennis Linehan and got very very immersed in the whole issue of sexual predators and sexual offenders. And the sexually dangerous persons loss with an issue that I followed now for almost a decade with a great deal of interest and I was surprised to tell you the truth when Governor pawlenty issued that executive order and I'm not surprised that the people who represent the people have been committed under the statute are crying foul now whether they have a basis to do so remains to be seen as sexual psychopath Polo and dangerous. I'm so it's a tool that you use for overall considering we have about 5,000 felony cases a year with a select group of people and sometimes it's very helpful. When as in Susan's case that you was talking about when a prison sentence is coming up but this person can be a danger to themselves or others, but it is predicated on the idea that at some point the way the law is if through medication through some kind of treatment are found to be not a danger to themselves or others that there might be that possibility of release the truth are we have fought a number of releases successfully because we believe that they were still dangerous to themselves and others but it's an interesting legal question and and like Susan I'm not surprised if there's a lawsuit and one thing Gary good about a lawsuit being filed is that maybe these arguments can be made in a courtroom. These are legal issues and I've always found it public safety and politics. Sometimes aren't a real good mix so it'll be good to see this discussion being had in a courtroom one more question on that particular issue ghost and point. It does seem like I'm the one had of course, you don't want dangerous people wandering around on the other hand. It seems like the way the law is written. Yeah, I just kind of a kind of a sham really if you really feel about that really treating anybody and so they're going to be there forever. Is there a different way to deal with this problem which seems a little more forthright. Let's put it that way by the County's perspective of our use of the law has been really really targeted and it really just applies to a very small group of people. The legal standards are very high. I mean from again for my own personal experience. It takes a lot a lot of evidence a lot of bad contact to get someone put away under the civil commitment statutes someone like Dennis Linehan Is What It Takes and so I didn't it in there isn't a sham involved were very upfront about it the lies carefully drafted that if you meet these very strict standards, if you are really that dangerous we're going to put you in a treatment facility we are going to off Four treatments but then the shoes on your foot to say. Yes. I'm well to prove I'm well and in the public safety demands nothing short of that they get out whether our standards and and doctors can make that determination and then we talked about it's made in a court of law. I do think you have to also look back to how it used to be 20 years ago when Minnesota had very liberal release laws for sexual offenders. You look at someone like Donald Blom. He'd committed several very serious rapes time time women up raping them in at the time. The philosophy was given little treatment and let them out and he was put out on the street and went on to kill Katie Poirier since then the legislature has realized that we do need some longer sentences in those type of rape cases and that's been helpful and we have seen some reduction in the number of the commitments that we've had because of the fact that were able to use those longer sentences for some of the serious. To offenders, we now can get for someone who has we had one guy who raped someone in Florida rape someone in California came to Minnesota rape the woman in the Bloomington TGIF parking lot and as he was doing and he said do what I say, I know what I'm doing. I've done this before if that's not an example of a career offender. I don't know what is in that case were able to use a new law get a what is essentially life sentence 30-year sentence against him and I think that with those types of laws, it makes it less of a focus on some of the commitment to a Minnesota County attorneys. Susan gaertner is here. She's the Ramsey County attorney. Amy Klobuchar is with us Hennepin County attorney to biggest counties in Minnesota. They have come by today to talk about some of the issues facing people in the criminal justice system people observing the criminal justice system. If you'd like to join our conversation if you're listening on the phone, give us a call. 51227 6006 51227 6000 are toll free number is one 800-242-2828 Mike your question, please. Thank you. My question is with the new conceal and carry law on you think there's that's going to lead to more citizen's arrest and what are the ramifications of that if that happened? I who wants to start on concealed carry with some people. I am not certain Italy tomorrow a rest of the concern from a law enforcement standpoint that the police and the sheriff's and some county attorney's like ourselves have been talking about is the concern that these guns are as they're out on the streets more as they're locked up in cars can get into the wrong hands. They can be stolen. They can get into kids hands. We've had a number of cases where we want case for a three year old take The gun from a seventeen-year-old pocket and 7 year old Shep shoots a 4 year old who likely wasn't killed. Those are the kind of cases we say so that's why I'm concerned. I think there's going to be some litigation over it already is with the church's synagogues talking about the fact that they want to have the ability to say no guns in their facilities are clearly some changes that need to be made that law our counties as well as a number of cities and counties throughout the state have used some legal theories to say we're going to be able to ban weapons in our facilities are hospitals are libraries are regardless of that law and those may be challenged but I think just to think that this law didn't think about things like the Hennepin County Hospital the medical center. That is one of the busiest emergency rooms in the state where the doctors are treating gunshot wounds everyday. I wear the nurses and doctors are very concerned about that kind of thing. I'd kind of like to listen to them. On a local level instead o

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

(281) 789-8852

©2021 by Biblical Counselors of Houston. 

*Biblical Counselors of Houston is a Counseling Ministry. Our counselors are credentialed professional Biblical Counselors, not state licensed professional counselors, with privileges to apply biblical teachings to the fullest. 

bottom of page